Survival Guide: What to wear for weddings
There are some serious wedding fashion do’s and don’ts when it comes to being a wedding guest. So, how do you know just what to wear to a wedding? We’ve got some serious style advice for our readers – so you can survive in the most fashionable way at the next wedding you’re invited to!
Outdoor or Garden Wedding
- Do wear a short, playful dress in pastel colors. You can even wear jeweled flats or sandals for this style of wedding. Just don’t over dress or over do it with jewelry. Something delicate like earrings and a bracelet are perfect. For men, go with a pair of khaki pants and a button up shirt.
A Semi-Formal Cocktail Party Wedding
- For this style wedding you’ll want to go with a chic suit for men and a cute cocktail dress for women. Don’t be afraid to wear jewelry, but also don’t go with a coture gown or crazy high heels.
A Multi-Cultural Wedding
- Do go with the theme of the wedding. Many Indian, Hindu, and other cultural weddings have specific things that are traditional wedding wear like henna tattoos and saris. Do speak with the family, too. What you don’t want to do is wear every day style clothes. This Survival Guide: What to wear for weddings will surely help with what you need (or not) when attending a multicultural wedding.
A Formal Ballroom or Golf Club Wedding
- Make sure you consider the actual venue. These venues are often on the line between semi-formal and formal. Depending on the wedding theme and colors you can go with a jumpsuit or cocktail dress, and for men go with suit pants and a collared shirt and tie that matches your date’s outfit.
A Black Tie Wedding
- Do be structured with your attire and wear something formal. Men should wear a tuxedo and women should wear a gown, because depending on the venue a cocktail dress might nice enough.
A White Tie Wedding
- Do pull out all the stops when it comes to being a “fashionista”. We’re talking structured couture gown and tuxed with tops and tails! Don’t underestimate a white tie wedding – this is where you can wear even your fanciest jewels and not be overdressed!
Just be sure to really read the wedding invitation. This can often give you clues as to how formal or informal the wedding may be, and just how dressy or down you can dress at the event. Need more wedding fashion advice? Contact us at Apropos Creations and we can even help guests know what to wear when it comes to event planning and wedding services!