Makiaj beauty is without a doubt one of the best makeup and hair boutiques in Arizona. An outstanding team of professional internationally trained artist, Makiaj Beauty will have you slayed. Here’s a dream team of artist for your dream wedding!
Tell us about your company?
- Makiaj Beauty is an award winning Bridal Makeup + Hair Company located in Oldtown Scottsdale. “Celebrity for a day, beauty for life” is the mantra we boast when it comes to serving our clients. With over 18 years of combined experience, our master artists are committed to delivering the highest quality boutique-style hair, makeup & draping services to their brides or anyone wanting to look extra special. With a passion for ethnic skin tones and extensive experience with South Asian & Western Brides, we strive to create the perfect modern bridal looks based in classic timeless looks.
How did you get started in the wedding business?
- I was working for MAC Cosmetics in sales & artistry back in 2009 and there were a large number of people expressing interest in bridal makeup. I was asked regularly by clients if I would be willing to do their wedding makeup. I was shocked;” of course” I replied ! You want me to do your wedding makeup ? ( I didn’t know the first thing about wedding makeup & photography) but I said yes and slowly it caught on. I am so thankful to all of the clients who trusted me from the start before I grew into the well rounded artist I am today. Special thanks to Deepika Saigal who saw something in me from the start and took a chance.
What makes your different from other businesses in the field?
- We are a boutique style Hair + Makeup Company which means we only take on select clientelle every year. In addition, we specialize in all skin tones and have mastered the art of ethnic skintones and South Asian Weddings which require a deeper understand of the cultural events, which in turn effects the styling. We offer Hair, Makeup, Draping + Jewelry Setting. As a plus, we travel to you on your big day to help alleviate stress and make your day run super smooth! We also travel worldwide.
Why do you like working with weddings?
- Being a bride is so special. It is the one day where all eyes are on you and the closest people in your life get to witness you at your happiest. I must admit, when I first started in makeup I thought I wanted to be doing makeup for print & runway. Over the years I realized that one of my greatest strengths was my intuition and my ability to communicate with my clients, have them trust me and develop a relationship. Once their big day came, I wasn’t just an artist doing their makeup, I was a friend, someone that they felt comfortable with and most of all a good sounding board for when they started to get their wedding jitters (Yes, this always starts as soon as my brides sit down in the makeup chair).
What was the most difficult situation you have faced with a client and how did you resolve it?
- Years ago, before I was Makiaj Beauty (and had a large team of artists), I had arrived at my brides’ suite at 10AM on the dot. I knocked, she answered and was sobbing in tears. I thought maybe she had called off the wedding, but she told me that her small dog had ran away (she was from out of town). The entire wedding process had come to a complete hault to look for her small dog and call every shelter in town. The time was now 1PM and the wedding was set to start at 2PM sharp (with guests already arriving). At 1:15 we got a call that her dog had been found and was okay; she was so relieved! She then looked at me and said, ok, we have 30 minutes to do both my hair & makeup can you do it? It usually takes me at least 60 minutes to do makeup & 60 minutes to do hair. It was super challenging to decide where to spend most of my time, but I really wanted her look beautiful and her best (plus she had been crying a ton). I asked the room service to bring us fresh cucumbers to put on her eyes while I threw her hair into a messy updo and then at about 1:30 I placed some false lashes, a bold lip and a light foundation. She looked beautiful and most of all she was happy! She found her dog and she was just about to get married.
From a vendor’s perspective, what’s the best piece of advice you can give to engaged couples?
- Enjoy the process. Now a days engaged couples have more support and help then ever, so don’t sweat the small stuff, everything always comes together at the end. Oh! and reach out to vendors early enough in the planning process 🙂 .
What or who motivates you?
- My mom. She has been a strong role model over the years and will never forget what she told me ” you need to be self sufficient”. When I came to her at the age of 22 and told her that I didn’t want to be a doctor and that I wanted to be a makeup artist she listened and understood when the normal reaction would have been to laugh or ask “are you serious?” Its been 9 years since that day and I feel fortunate to have been supported by her. Love you Mom.
What do you do when you are not working?
- Spending time with my husband and my 1 year old traveling & working out. Oh, and put some makeup on 😉 .
What would we be surprised to learn about you?
- I’ve been told that I am pretty funny!
We would like to thank Pooja for allowing us to spotlight her and Makiaj Beauty. To find out more about them check out their website Makiaj Beauty.